Monday, August 29, 2011

What Pastels?

One of Larry's
8 x10 Pastel on Wallis Paper
I'm even newer to pastel than I am to the rest of my artistic efforts.  I seem to go in spurts-- acrylics for a while....a few pastels....back to acrylics.  I enjoy working in the medium, but I think I just dislike having to put the work behind glass.  I like the drawing/painting feel of pastels, and I really like having no brushes to clean.  Acrylics dry so fast that I'm more likely to smear a pastel piece than I am to smoosh the paint on an acrylic.
Larry has several mounted deer heads, but he hasn't gotten over the "trophy-taking" need.  He takes the heads and makes European mounts of them.  I'm not a big fan.  They are all hanging out in the garage.  This one was over a doorway and was somewhat atypical, interesting enough to paint.  Besides, I'd rather have this hanging around.

No comments:

Post a Comment